S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Fallout with a Russian accent

Pros: Brilliant despite its flaws.
Cons: Very, very flawed.

Let's get it out of the way right up front -- S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl is, mechanically speaking, a bad game. It is bug-ridden, the engine is poorly-optimized, the AI has a tendency to break at random intervals, and all that and more add up to the opposite of a good game.

And yet... and yet, it has a certain something that lets me overlook its many (many) flaws. The post-apocalyptic, radiation-soaked setting is teeming with ambience (if ambience can be said to teem). The little atmospheric touches are wonderfully realized: the howls of strange and threatening beasts in the distance, the gleam of a bandit's flashlight through the tall grass, the sudden, howling gusts of wind that batter themselves against the crumbling remains of blasted and abandoned buildings... it adds up to a world I am willing to suspend my disbelief for, even when I enter a settlement and the guard who warily greets me resumes his patrol by walking straight into a wall, or when the group of bandits who ambush me spend most of the fight running in and out of the same door, trying to figure out how to path to me.

I believe I mentioned the flaws.

I have played almost to the end of
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. several times, and each time the bugginess has finally outweighed the world, and I have quit. But I find myself going back, months later, when I remember the gaping mouth of a charging, mutated boar as my flashlight beam finds it in the pitch blackness, or the feeling of being one man against the world as I leave the light and warmth of a trading camp deep within the Zone and step once again into the creature-infested wasteland. At times like those, I load the game back up and allow myself to be immersed one more time.

It is not a game I would recommend that anyone buy at full price. However, if you find it in a discount bin, or can catch it during a sale on Steam, it easily contains ten or fifteen dollars worth of enjoyment.

As there are for Oblivion, there are many mods available for
S.T.A.L.K.E.R., several of which fix scripting and other bugs, and some which add more depth to the game by tweaking the enemies and world. If you do pick S.T.A.L.K.E.R. up, I highly recommend searching out the mod sites for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment